Classic Chicken Cordon Bleu is breaded and then fried. We opted to skip the frying and bake ours instead. It takes what otherwise is a tedious recipes and simplifies it a bit. Once the chicken is layered with cheese and ham and then rolled, it’s one big piece of chicken so frying it seemed like too much. The chicken will bake into a beautiful, golden and crispy piece of meat that’s perfectly swirled on the inside. It left us mesmerized.
Chicken Cordon Bleu sauce really completes this dish. It’s creamy and tangy and like a next level gravy. You start by making a basic gravy and then add dijon and Parmesan to take it into a class all on it’s own.
To complete your swirled dinner make this surprisingly easy Pumpkin Cheesecake Roll.
FOR THE CHICKEN
4 chicken breasts
8 slices Swiss cheese
8 slices deli ham
1 c. all-purpose flour
2 large eggs, beaten
2 c. panko breadcrumbs
Freshly ground black pepper
4 tbsp. melted butter
1 tsp. dried oregano
FOR THE SAUCE
4 tbsp. butter
1/4 c. all-purpose flour
2 c. milk
2 tbsp. dijon mustard
1/4 c. freshly grated parmesan
- Preheat oven to 400° and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Place a chicken breast between two pieces of plastic wrap on a cutting board and flatten to a ¼” thick with a meat mallet or rolling pin. Top breast with 2 slices of cheese, then 2 slices of ham. Starting at the top of the breast roll up tightly and secure with toothpicks. Repeat with remaining breasts.
- Place flour, eggs, and panko in three shallow bowls. Season flour with salt and pepper. Add melted butter and oregano to panko and mix until incorporated.
- Working one at a time, roll chicken first in flour, then eggs, then panko mixture, pressing to coat. Place on prepared baking sheet. Bake until golden and cooked through, 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile make sauce: In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add flour and stir until golden, 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in milk, then add mustard. Let simmer until thickened, 5 minutes. Add Parmesan and stir until melted. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove toothpicks from chicken and serve with sauce.